Tag: amendments

Amending exemptions or schedules in a reopened case is not allowed in some courts

Amend Exemption in Reopened Bankruptcy? The Three Approaches

Amend Exemption in Reopened Bankruptcy? The Three Approaches

In a bankruptcy case where you already got the order of discharge and has been closed, can you go back and reopen the case to amend the exemptions to protect an asset? The answer is (say it with me): it depends.

The Scenario: Need to Reopen & and Amend Schedules

If you practice bankruptcy long enough, you know the situation. Debtor files bankruptcy, and somehow forgets that they had a cause of action and (potential) lawsuit against someone, and doesn’t disclose the potential asset.

Years later, defendant finds out about the bankruptcy, considers judicial estoppel, and for good measure, notifies the old bankruptcy trustee about the asset in the closed bankruptcy case.

Debtor then reopens the bankruptcy case, and amends the schedule of assets and exemptions and all is forgiven. No harm, no foul.

Of course, this can also happen when you want to avoid the lien of a home with no equity at the time of an old case, using Section 522(f). This would lead to the need to reopen and amend Schedule C with a de minimis amount to show that the lien is impairing an exemption.  In re Higgins, 201 BR 965 (9th Cir BAP 1996)

The Problem: Can you Amend Exemptions after a Bankruptcy is Closed?

We start with one potential issue:  Rule 1009(a) of the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedures says when a case can be amended. “A voluntary petition, list, schedule, or statement may be amended by the debtor as a matter of course at any time before the case is closed.”

Continue reading “Amend Exemption in Reopened Bankruptcy? The Three Approaches”

Deadline to object extended by amending exemptions or schedules

Objecting to Exemptions: Amendments and the 4003 Deadline

Objecting to Exemptions: Amendments and the 4003 Deadline

When does the 30-day deadline of Rule 4003 get restarted?

Does any amendment of schedules extend the 30-day objection deadline of Rule 4003, or only amended exemptions or assets? Another bankruptcy attorney recently saw that a creditor objected to his client’s exemptions, which creditors are allowed to do. The issue is, there’s a deadline to object to exemptions, as a rule. Creditor objected after the deadline, and debtor’s counsel asked if he was justified to seek Rule 11 sanctions.

There are exceptions that can extend or restart that objection deadline. Obviously, it would be fair that, for example, amending the exemptions on Schedule C gives an opportunity to object to the amendments and new exemptions. But what if there’s an amendment to any of the schedules?  Does amending income on Schedule I give a new opportunity to object to exemptions? Let’s take a look.

Continue reading “Objecting to Exemptions: Amendments and the 4003 Deadline”

It's possible to change a Chapter 13 plan payment

Changing the Plan Payment in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy: What to Know

Changing the Plan Payment in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy by Motion to Modify: What to Know

A Motion to Modify can drop the Chapter 13 plan payment

You can change your payment amount in Chapter 13 bankruptcy, and this is done by a Motion to Modify. It can lower your payment. But beware, someone can also raise it. Here is everything you need to know.

So I can change my monthly payment for a Chapter 13?

Yes. Of course, there has to be a reason (and I want more money for movies and travel isn’t good enough). Let’s look and see what the law says.

Continue reading “Changing the Plan Payment in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy: What to Know”